December 15, 2008

Jordan Turns 12

December 2nd was Jordan's 12th birthday.  Jordan had some phone calls wishing him a happy birthday, but my favorite was when my dad called not just for him but for me.  He said that he thought of me because he remembered when his first son turned 12.  That milestone really made him feel old.  Yes, that's something Taylor & I have been talking about for a few years now.  It always seemed like a far off event, but it crept up on me faster than I thought possible.  Scary how fast time flies.

I don't often have friend birthday parties for my kids, but this year I thought I'd give it another round.  Now, I knew boys were generally louder than girls, but I didn't know how much louder until a bunch were in our home at one time.
  
Wouldn't you know it, the first thing they did was tackle each other for 20 minutes.

I'm not sure what the name of this game is, but I do remember playing it with some groups up at BYU many moons ago.  You pack flour into a bowl, turn it upside down, place a quarter on top of it, then each person cuts chunks of flour away from the quarter.  You can cut as little or as much as you want, but if the quarter falls when it's your turn, you have to get it out.... 

....with your teeth. 
 
It started calm, but after the first one round, they ALL wanted to be the one to lose.

After several more rounds, and several heads shoved in the flour pile, they all decided they wanted faces covered with the white stuff.  I'm sure their parents wondered what in the world we did at this party.

Caden's mom always wraps $ presents in very interesting ways.  When Jordan unwrapped the paper, all he saw was a Special K cereal box. Inside that was a Crystal Light container.  That contained a pink purse (which Hailey now loves), and inside that was some money. Very creative....and funny.

Now this is something I would do.  So embarrassing for Jordan.....yet so fun for us.  


10 comments:

Michael...Midol....Punky....Mido the Sugar Bear Punky....Twitcher....Cheetoh Eater said...

I am so bad at remembering birthdays, but it looks like they had a lot of fun. That is kind of crazy that Jordan is 12 and in just 4 years he'll be driving. I think you'll be 90 by the time I have a 12 year old kid...haha Love ya Ginger

Rachel B. said...

Ah, the flour game. It looks like they enjoyed it as much as I'd imagined 12 year old boys would. I'm glad you survived the night. I've always heard that boy parties are SLIGHTLY different than the girl princess parties. :) I think it will be cute now for Jordan to share a birthday with his teeny little cousin.

Unguren said...

Funny. I didn't remember the flour game until I started reading and then I was like...Oh yeah. Thinking about it now I can think of nothing that would be fun about that game. But for kids, Good Times.

Amy said...

That is crazy! I remember coming to the hospital with Erin Bybee to see you guys after he was born. Isn't it funny how kids only get older, not us.

Katie said...

I'm totally doing that to my kids tonight!

The Ashby Family said...

Money just always seems so boring to give, and anyway it's fun to embarrass your kids around their friends right! Caden had tons of fun. Thanks!

Ginger said...

Amy, I have noticed that as well. I know I haven't aged ONE BIT myself! ;)

Amy said...

Ginger, we did this flour game with Bradley and a friend he had over one time...I thought I was going to have to take him to the Emergency Room (the friend). He inhaled some flour and could NOT stop coughing. I was seriously worried. I'm glad yours went off without a hitch. What a fun party! P.S. Are you guys enjoying the snow?!!

Amy said...

Boys are louder than girls?! Oh boy! Tom already goes nuts when Ashley has several friends over. He can not STAND the screaming and shrieking. I guess I should warn him that it's only going to get worse when the boys get older. :)

I hope it's OK if I stop by your blog every so often. I can't remember how I found it, but I wasn't trying to be a creepy stalker. :), Amy E.

Rachel said...

Boys are louder than girls? i think not!