May 12, 2008

The Crazy Birthday Cake

For Taylor's birthday, the kids and I wanted to make a cake. He told us he would like yellow frosting. Since the cake was already yellow, I thought we might want to shake things up a little.
However, my blonde roots came out. I forgot that adding cocoa to frosting would turn it brown. (Duh!)
No problem, I thought, we'll just add a ton of yellow food coloring to get the color as close to yellow as possible. What turned out was......pardon the description......a color that more resembled baby poop.
The kids each took a section of the cake to decorate on their own.

Noah in the middle of decorating.

The final product. It looked very messy, but it was a lot of fun.

Taylor straining to get ALL those candles blown out.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Ginger, this is the best idea. I love that all the kids participated. I'm sure Taylor LOVED it. Homemade birthday cakes are the best.

EMILY said...

Hey, this is Emily Earl Nelson. Remember me from the Hacienda ward? I found your blog on shelly and jake's. So fun to see what you and your family are up to!

Shelley said...

That is the coolest birthday cake I've ever seen! So much personality! Happy Bday Taylor!

Amy said...

Hey Ginger,
My new last name is Rhodes. The only other person I have a blog from institute days is Amy Jones (Gardner) and Karen Razy (Condos) They are both linked on mine. I wish I could find other people, I am always looking for them. Do you have any? I would love to have an institute "reunion." I think it would be so much fun to see what everyone is up to now.

The sanctuary is on Racel, just down from Durango. It's not the greatest place, but the kids love it.

The Pili Aiga said...

Very Cute! I bet Taylor dug right in :) Fun idea to get everyone involved1

Ginger said...

Hey Emily! Yes, I remember you and your sisters very well. It's crazy to see how they have all grown too! Guess I figure my kids and I are the only ones who get older huh? I wondered who the "roughandtumble" blog belonged to on Shelley's blog.