March 6, 2008

We're Having a Baby!!!


Now those of you who know me, know there is no way it would be ME who would be having the baby! I'm just trying to keep up with the four I already have.

Jordan got some fish for his birthday last December. Ever since, it has been a complete obsession of his. This swordtail gave birth to what we estimated at 50 and 60 fish the other night. The whole process took what I guess to be about 3-4 hours. It was fascinating watching her give birth. Even more fascinating to see her whip around and gulp them down if they weren't quite fast enough to get away from her. Jordan commented that he was glad his mom didn't try to eat him.

We have learned a lot about fish the past few months. When I found out that these fish have babies once a month, I just about passed out. Then to see the male try to mate with her the very next day! Poor little mama.

1 comments:

Rachel B. said...

What the?! Do they really eat all of them? Weird! And I'm glad you didn't try to eat your children either. Although they are cute enough to eat.