December 8, 2008

My Peeve

I have a few pet peeves.  Actually, when I really think about it, I guess I have more than my fair share of them.  Some of those peeves include men who clip their nails in church (YUCK), someone using my bath towel, not washing hands after the bathroom, speeding through a school zone, etc.

One of my recent peeves is finding grocery carts in places other than the store where they belong.  Now, I know there are companies whose soul purpose is to pick up these stray carts and return them to their rightful owners, but please.....we all know how entirely long (if ever) this takes to actually happen.

I realize it's not the carts' fault that they aren't where they should be.  It's the loonies that feel that they are allowed to take these carts home with them that irk me.  And I'm not talking about the homeless who use it to hold all their belongings.  

Rarely do I actually SEE these wandering carts with their temporary "owners".  They just happen to show up on my street, down some side alley, and even up alongside someone's house.  Several times I have even seen people using them to transport their children!  WHAT?!  What kind of crappy stroller is that?  How uncomfortable for the poor child sitting in the basket, no padding, bumping along a side dirt road.  Places such as Walgreens have really been smart and installed locking mechanisms on the bottom of their carts.  That way you can get your purchases TO your car and not use them AS your car.

We've made this annoyance into a family fun-time though.  This picture shows the first time we brought one back.  Noah was so good about doing this.  Now when we find them, I lift up the door  in the back of our van, he sits inside and holds onto the cart while we drag it back.  I'm sure it looks so odd, but it's pretty fun for us. 

4 comments:

Michael...Midol....Punky....Mido the Sugar Bear Punky....Twitcher....Cheetoh Eater said...

Thats awesome! Good thing about having kids is you can have them be little slaves for ya. I seriously hate the whole shopping cart thing as well so I know what you mean.

Unguren said...

I hate when I see carts just laying about. Since when did people believe that it was ok to just take a cart home?

You know what bugs me....littering!

Samantha said...

I will never miss seeing the grocery carts all over the neighborhoods there in Vegas. I hated it! That cracks me up how you take the carts back, I can see it now. . .

Robert Lea said...

You guys are heroic for taking those carts back. There is just me in the car and I am still trying to come up with a system where I can rig the cart that is currently on our street to the back of the car and return it myself. SO ANNOYING!