April 15, 2008

We Have a Backyard!!!

We have been in our home for two years now, and looking at all that dirt in the backyard has gotten really old. We've also been a little overwhelmed trying to figure out what to do, since our yard is so big. We first consulted a couple of landscape architects to give us bids. Since they both came in at $20,000+ we decided we were going to piecemeal it out and do a lot ourselves. Once Taylor got into it, it ended up taking only a couple weeks. Here are a few pictures that show the progress.

We have really hard clay dirt, so he rented a trencher to get the pipe rows in. I wish I had a picture of that thing whipping him about. It was a beast of a machine.

I helped out a little laying the pipe. This was actually kind of fun.



Instead of trying to hunt down men in our ward, Taylor ran up to Star Nursery and grabbed 5 guys to lay the sod. What could have taken all day and night, ended up getting finished in 3 hours. Amazing.

This guy cracked me up. When he saw me taking pictures of the backyard, he got down and posed as if he were laying grass. He thought it was so great that he grabbed his cell phone and had Taylor take a picture of him on it.

GREEN!!!

We're still not quite finished planting all the trees and bushes, but at least the holes are dug. I'll post a picture once Taylor gets finished with the dripper lines and we lay the final rock. All I really care about, however, is the grass. Once the kids can go out and run around on it, I'll be in heaven. I'm sure they feel pretty much the same. It's just amazing what some color can do to a backyard. I keep staring at it, so grateful we were able to get to it as soon as we did.

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

I am so super jealous- I can't wait to get some grass in my yard I am so fed up with all the dirt and so sick of cleaning it up constantly.

Ginger said...

I'll admit, it's been more than a little messy while they've been working. The dust has more than tripled around here. Hopefully the grass will help it decrease though when they're all done.

Rachel B. said...

That looks awesome Ging! Thank goodness for hard-working Star Nursery Mexicans. (I hope that's okay to say here.)

Anonymous said...

I never knew your yard was so big. How nice.

I think it is ok to say that on here Rachel...:)

Shelley said...

I can't believe how different it looks in so little time! Awesome! Even though it seems like it would be a monster project, I bet it feels really cool to know you can do it now. So, maybe some day you guys can help us do our yard. Ha ha!

Amy said...

It must be so nice to have that much space. I'm sure your kids are going to love it this summer. I'm very impressed that you guys did it on your own. Way to go, Taylor!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Wow, what a HUGE yard! That's pretty impressive! kelli

The Pili Aiga said...

Good job guys! Not often you can get a yard that size in Vegas...how fun for the kids :) Can Taylor come do ours? the grass is having serious issues...lol

Amy said...

Yeah, Ginger!!! I didn't know you were that far along w/ your yard. Now you HAVE to host our next prep. mtg. so we can enjoy your yard while you grind the wheat :)! What a nice feeling that is to see green...I thought I'd died & gone to heaven when I could look out & see real live grass & plants in our backyard. A completed yard is a gift that keeps on giving...